"I do believe my redheadedness plays a huge part in who I am. If I were a blonde or brunette, I would be an entirely different person."

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Missionaries

This picture was taken just over two years ago when this boy, my cute cousin Matt, was days away from leaving on his mission. And today was his homecoming. Since graduating from high school I feel like I've sent a lot of my best friends off on missions. Matt was definitely at the top of that list. We are one month and 2 days apart. We have gone to elementary school, junior high, and high school together. We grew up together. We haven't always been close, but we are cousins. We look out for each other. In junior high he was super protective and continued to be so in high school. Words can't express my joy at having home with our family again. This morning he spoke about his mission and bore his testimony of the gospel. I have always looked up to him and admired him. He is one of the best guys I know, but as I sat there and listened to him bear his testimony about how important his mission was to him I was just in complete awe. I think that is by far one of the most powerful homecoming talks I've ever heard. I have always struggled with having a good attitude about missions. Not that I don't think they are good things, and even though I do know that they are necessary the selfish side of me hates seeing the people I love leave. But after hearing Matt speak I just realized how necessary and important they really are. It was powerful. My cousin is incredible. 
Which leads me to thoughts about this boy:
One of my favorite people. Zachary Bryan Jensen, my younger but definitely not little brother. He has been gone just over 6 months and I miss him like crazy. Sometimes I think about him and my heart just constricts within my chest knowing that it will be 18 more months until I get to see him. But I do have to admit that after listening to Matty today it brought a lot of peace into my heart about the whole situation. If Zach comes back with the testimony and the power that Matt came back with then I want Zach to faithfully serve the people in New Zealand and come back when the time is right. 
Here are a couple of my best friends serving missions and for more than half of them coming home soon!
                                                                               



My testimony of missionary work was strengthened today. How grateful I am for the tender mercies in my life and the friends of mine that have chosen to faithfully serve the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment